Pages

Friday, October 27, 2017

Two Beatles songs

WinAmp is an asshole.

It really seems like it can read my mind sometimes, out of my entire library, it will "randomly" pick songs that fit my mood or what I am writing. Sure, this is just a form of musical apophenia, remember the hits, forget the misses, that sort of thing.

I can't imagine what results a more modern software equivalent would yield. My guess is that it would send my into a dark pit of despair on purpose, if it based itself on my web-browsing to suggest songs.

Today, Winamp chose to queue two Beatles songs, back to back :

She Said, She Said
and
You're Gonna Lose That Girl

The first one warranted a disinterested "hmm...sure.", barely interrupting my frantic Friday afternoon social media scroll-a-thon while the second one had me do a double-take, forcing my eyebrows and mouth into an expression which would translate to "seriously?".

The lyrics to these songs are not exactly positive yet the chord progressions and chosen instrumentation do not seem to match the tone of the stories told herein.

In the end, like everything else, I guess it all comes down to one's own interpretation. Why did the Fab Four write this in this "bipolar" way? The exact answer is probably an combination of musical industry demands, the musical creativity of the Beatles and their producer and the vibe of the time, I guess but in the end it doesn't matter.

I will not bore readers with the details of why these songs feel pertinent and personal at this moment; I think most of you can guess that by themselves. One might think that these sugar-pop ditties might irritate the soul of a man left scorched and devastated by the results of his own inadequacies and shortsightedness but no : these made me feel...hopeful.

Seemingly innocent, they reminded me of how today's darkness always seems insurmountable, how today's pain should never be able to wane due to its sheer intensity and all-encompassing nature yet always does fade, in the end : dance the night away and let time do its job. The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend, etc.

In this age of instantaneous answers, it seems like this vagueness, this necessary ambiguity has disappeared from most peoples' lives. This ability to forego the message which marketers and peddlers of ideas try to shove down our throats as #truth. What comes into play when judging such content is not interpretation, it is delusion of the self which harken back to forgotten times. It justifies one's existing thoughts and prejudice.

I am reminded of the type of Youtube videos titled : "Top 10 reasons why Movie X sucks", bearing such a title to obviously pander to those who have already picked sides. For every such video, its direct opposite is guaranteed to exist somewhere, maybe bearing the "In defense of Movie/Game X" title instead.

These songs revealed a sense of wonder which I hadn't felt in a while. A vision of life where one could consider what lies in front of them without presuppositions, accepting it as fresh input, without filtering it through expectations or preference. Such an attitude is beyond my grasp as trusting others, even trusting myself, is nigh-impossible. It however remains as a worthy ideal to pursue.

Art is life, life is art. Interpret, act, grasp and let go.

No comments: